Soon after the proclamation of the Colony of New South Wales in 1788, Christian outreach to Parramatta began. Monthly church services were held on the riverside with the Rev Richard Johnson travelling to Parramatta from Sydney and returning the same day. His congregation was chiefly composed by convicts.
On 23 July 1802, St John’s Parramatta was declared a parish by Governor King, and on Easter Sunday in 1803 the first church building was opened.
This year marks the 220th anniversary of St John’s declared a parish, and we would love for you to join us!
The St John’s organ, installed in 1863, is considered to be of national significance and is one of the most substantial and best-preserved JW Walker organs of its period.
Join us in the lead up to the St John’s 220th Anniversary for three very special organ recitals featuring our own home-grown organists.
Tuesday 19 July, 1pm: Terrence Maelaua
Saturday 23 July, 1pm: Nicholas Morley
Sunday 24 July, 1pm: David Osborne
Entry is free. The Cathedral will be open for tours from midday.
ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION SERVICE
SUNDAY 24 JULY, 10AM
Join us on Sunday 24 July at 10am in the Cathedral for a very special celebration service. The service will include contemporary songs, traditional hymns and even a kids’ song! Bishop Gary Koo will be speaking to us from Matthew 9.
SUNDAY 24 JULY, 12-3PM
Following the Anniversary Celebration, the Cathedral will be open for interactive guided tours and the third in our series of Organ Recitals.